Thursday 14 June 2012

Travel Update VII - Bucharest, Romania (15th June, 2012)

Greetings!

My last update from this trip finds me in Bucharest, the capital of Romania and from where I am to fly home tomorrow. Since the last update from Iasi I've been travelling around in areas where the Internet is a bit thin on the ground. I've been hiking up to monasteries in the Carpathians, hanging out with a kid from an internet cafe in Suceava, riding steam trains in Maramures, talking to students about politics, drinking tuica with peasants and becoming friends with a forest ranger. All in all, an eventful few days which has taught me that whilst I still don't really know what the essence of Romania is, I do know that I like the place.

But like it or not, my time here is drawing to a close and there is only one thing left to do and that is visit the biggest monument to communist megalomania that there is, Ceacescu's House of the People.


 
The House of the People, Bucharest

So that's all for now folks, more standard updates coming up next week when I plan to restart the posting of Balkania but for now,

Keep travelling!

Uncle Travelling Matt



No comments:

Post a Comment